Homemade peanut butter cups! Not as easy as buying Reese’s but the satisfaction that you made them makes enjoying them that much better!
1 package semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup confectioners’ sugar (icing sugar)
1/4 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
40 miniature foil or paper candy cups
miniature muffin pans
small glass or shot glass
1. Place foil liners in miniature muffin cups.
2. In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate on HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth.
3. Drop 1/2 teaspoon melted chocolate into each cup. Tap the pan lightly on a hard surface to distribute the chocolate evenly in the cups.
4. Place the filled muffin pans in the refrigerator or freezer; chill until the chocolate is firm, 5-10 minutes.
5. In a large bowl, combine peanut butter, confectioners’ sugar and butter; mix until blended and smooth.
6. Drop 1 tablespoon of the peanut butter mixture onto top of chilled chocolate layer. Wrap a small glass or shot glass in plastic wrap and use bottom to press the peanut butter mixture evenly into the candy cups.
7. Top the peanut butter mixture in each cup with 1 tablespoon of the melted chocolate. Tap the pan on a hard surface to evenly settle the layers.
8. Refrigerate or freeze until chocolate is firm, 10-15 minutes.
My only tip is make sure that you don’t overfill the paper cup. Make sure that there is a bit of paper passing over the chocolate line. Makes it easier to take them out of the paper shell.
The measurements of how much chocolate and peanut butter to put per cup is kind of just for an idea. You can just go by eye and do about a third of the cup height for each layer. Once you get a couple done, you catch on.
If you want, you can also use white chocolate instead of the semi-sweet! Makes it a little different
Another variation to the recipe: to make a quicker batch, layer mixtures in a foil-lined 8-inch square pan. Chill until firm and cut into bite-size square pieces for tasty Peanut Squares.
Nannie’s rating: 9/10
My rating: 9/10