Thought these were a different kind of cookie. The gumdrops intrigued me so I accepted the challenge and made them during my Christmas baking spree!
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped fruit-flavoured or spiced gumdrops
2 egg whites
1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract.
2. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
3. Stir in gumdrops.
4. Drop by heaping teaspoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
5. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely
MAKES: 3 1/2 dozen
Next time, I buy smaller gumdrops. Nannie and I made the foolish mistake of buying normal gumdrops and we had to cut the damn things into smaller pieces! Let me tell you something… cutting gumdrops into 4 or 5 pieces with scissors is not an easy task! Even had to enroll Papa into helping.
To be festive, I stuck with green and red gumdrops. Obviously, you can use other colours and flavours.
Overall, pretty good, pretty simple, pretty different.
Currently, they are sitting in the freezer. Here’s to hoping they are still good after being frozen
Papa’s rating: 8/10 (he had to cut the gumdrops and wasn’t happy about that! lol)
Nannie’s rating: 8/10
Joelle’s rating: 9/10
My rating: 7.5/10