Mmmm coconut… Made these especially for Joelle and she loved them. Pretty easy to make too!
For the clusters:
1 package sweetened flaked coconut, lightly toasted (about 2 2/3 cups)
1 jar dry-roasted, salted macadamia nuts, coarsly chopped (about 2 cups)
8 squares (8 ounces) semisweet chocolate
8 squares (8 ounces) white chocolate
For the glaze:
2 squares (2 ounces) semisweet chocolate
2 squares (2 ounces) white chocolate
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
4 miniature muffin tins
miniature paper or foil candy cups
small resealable plastic bags
Making the Clusters
1. Line four miniature muffin pans with candy cups; set aside.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine half of the coconut and half of the macadamia nuts. In another medium-sized bowl, combine the rest of the coconut and macademia nuts.
3. In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave white chocolate on HIGH for about 2 minutes. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth, reheating for 30 seconds, if necessary.
4. Stir the melted chocolate into one bowl of the coconut mixture, stirring to coat. Drop mixture by heaping teaspoonfuls to fill each candy cup in two pans.
5. Refrigerate until set, about 45 minutes.
6. In same microwave-safe bowl, microwave semisweet chocolate on HIGH for about 2 minutes; stir until melted and smooth.
7. Stir melted chocolate into remaining bowl of coconut mixture; stir to coat.
8. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls to fill candy cups in remaining 2 pans.
9. Refrigerate until set, about 45 minutes.
Making the Glaze
1. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the white chocolate and shortening. Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes; stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Let cool slightly; pour into a resealable bag.
2. Remove semisweet chocolate nut clusters from candy cups; transfer them to an ungreased baking sheet. Snip off one corner from the bag of white chocolate; drizzle over the semisweet clusters.
3. In same microwave-safe bowl as step 1, microwave the semisweet chocolate on HIGH for 2 minutes; stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Combine leftover white chocolate glaze. Let cool slightly; pour into a resealable bag.
4. Remove white chocolate nut clusters from candy cups; transfer them to an ungreased baking sheet. Snip off one corner from the bag of chocolate; drizzle over the white chocolate clusters.
5. Refrigerate all the clusters until glaze sets, about 15 minutes.
I included the few adjustments I made from the original recipe to this version (such as using the same microwave-save bowl, and the order of which to make to reduce dishes!).
All in all, pretty simple to make. Dishes are a bit of a bugger because it is melted chocolate but as long as you don’t let it sit too long, it’s not that bad.
Make sure you have a lot of fridge space for the cooling periods because it does take up a lot of room. For quicker chill times, try using the freezer.
Joelle’s rating: 10/10 for semisweet, 12/10 for white chocolate (she says “SEIGNEUR QUE CEST BON!”)
My rating: 10/10