Meatless Monday #3 and it’s a slow cooker dish ready in under 3 hours. Just throw in all the ingredients and wait. So easy!
1 1/2 cups milk
1 can evaporated milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled to room temp
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups shredded cheese
1/2 pound elbow macaroni or mini penne tubes, par cooked and drained
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray or grease it with olive oil.
2. Combine milk, evaporated milk, eggs, butter, and salt in slow cooker and whisk until smooth.
3. Add the shredded cheese and macaroni, sprinkle with black pepper. Stir gently with a spatula to coat evenly.
4. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top.
5. Cover and cook on High for 30 minutes, then reduce the temperature to low and cook for 2 to 2 and a half hours, until the custard is set in the center and the pasta is tender (the mac and cheese can sit in the cooker on the keep warm setting for 30 minutes before serving).
For the shredded cheese, I used an Italian blend but the original recipe called for Italian fontina cheese if you are interested.
For the pasta, par cooked means to cook them about five minutes, until tender, but not completely cooked.
Before serving the mac and cheese, I sautéed some bread crumbs with olive oil and Italian seasoning and sprinkled them over the top to make it a little fancier.
To be honest, I wasn’t overly crazy about this one. My boyfriend thought it could use some spices of some sort, so he added some Italian seasoning and thought that helped.