Yes, this is not my first slow cooker roast chicken but this one is my favourite so far. The veggies are really yummy too! And prep time is only about 10 minutes.
3 1/2 to 4 1/2 lbs. roasting chicken
1 cup chopped onion, approx. 1 medium to large onion
4-5 carrots, scrubbed, chopped in halves or thirds
4 celery stalks, cut in thirds
2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 lemon quartered
4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1. Combine rub ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Remove chicken from packaging and remove neck and pouch with organs. Discard or reserve for later use in another recipe. Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Rub garlic all over outside of the chicken. Put garlic inside the chicken.
4. Rub the rub all over the outside and inside of the chicken. Add quartered lemon to the inside of the chicken.
5. Place onions, carrots and celery inside the slow cooker. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables. Cover slow cooker and cook chicken on low for 4-8 hours until the internal temperature of the leg is at 160F.
6. Remove chicken and place in a 9×13 glass baking dish. Place baking dish in the oven under the broiler for about 4 to 5 minutes.
7. Allow chicken to rest after removing it from the broiler for 5 to 10 minutes.
I prepped my veggies and rub the night before and in the morning all I had to do was rub down the chicken and throw everything in the slow cooker. Ready in about 5 minutes and smelling wonderful by the time I got home from work. Unfortunately the picture above does not show the veggies, only the chicken after the broil.
For the rub, I didn’t use white pepper. I just used extra black pepper. Also, I replaced a bit of the salt with garlic salt because I love my garlic salt. And I don’t like spicy so I used half of the cayenne.
I think my chicken was a little smaller than the recipe called for so I didn’t use all of the rub. However, I kept it for later. When I removed the chicken to broil, I added some of the rub to the veggies and juices and stirred. Added extra flavour to the veggies. Also save some if you plan on making a soup with it.
PS: the lemon flavour is amazing! Definitely do not skip that ingredient inside the chicken.