I have never had meatloaf before so when I saw this Gluten Free version, I knew I had to try it! I think it turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.
1 lb. ground pork
1 lb. ground beef
2 large eggs
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 1/4 cup almond flour (aka almond meal or ground almond), divided
1 cup shredded sweet potato
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. all spice
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp. cooking oil
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Stir fry the onion in the cooking oil until translucent.
3. Add 1/4 cup of almond flour to the bottom layer of a non stick loaf pan (or use less, and save 1 cup for meat mixture).
4. Mix all other ingredients in a large bowl until combined. Careful not to overwork the mixture.
5. Press meat into loaf pan over the almond flour layer.
6. Wet your fingers and run over the surface of the meat to prevent cracking.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 160F.
8. Let sit for about 10 minutes before inverting the loaf pan onto a serving plate.
If you can’t find almond flour (aka almond meal or ground almond), you can make your own by grinding up almonds in the food processor until it becomes the same consistency as flour.
Just so you know, 1 cup of shredded sweet potato is about 1 potato (I used a very large potato and didn’t need it all).
Make sure you use a very thin layer of almond flour at the bottom. It should crisp up a bit while cooking. I think my layer was too thick so it didn’t really cook right. I think you might almost just want a dusting worth at the bottom.
The end product tasted really good though and my boyfriend went back for seconds and finished the left overs off the next day for lunch.