A new way to do Gluten Free pizza and it was pretty darn tasty with the carrot crust. Best part is you get to top it the way you like. Make it meatless, or be a carnivore!
3 medium carrots
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tbsp. pizza sauce
2 tbsp. onion, finely chopped
2 slices bacon, cooked & diced
2 tbsp. green pepper, diced
2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a pizza pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, blend carrots until very finely chopped.
3. Take the processed carrot and, using a cheesecloth or clean piece of material like an old shirt or tea towel, strain as much water (carrot juice) out of the carrots as you can.
4. Place the strained carrots into a bowl, should be about 1 cup of carrot.
5. Stir in garlic, mozzarella cheese and egg until well blended.
6. Using a spatula, spread out carrot mixture onto prepared cookie sheet to about an 8 inch circle.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until just starting to brown around the outside and top appears dry.
8. Top as desired. I spread on the pizza sauce, sprinkled with the onion, bacon , and green pepper, then sprinkled the Parmesan cheese on top.
9. Place back in the oven for another 5 minutes. Turn oven to broil for an additional 1 or 2 minutes to brown and crisp things up.
10. Remove from oven and let sit a minute or two. Use the parchment paper to slide off pizza tray. Cut and serve.
Although I have this one under Meatless Monday, I did cheat with a little (ok, a lot) of bacon but it can EASILY be made meatless.
In addition to the recipe, I added yellow peppers and a little more Mozzarella on the top.
When you are removing the liquid from the carrots, you can easily save the juice and either drink it, add it to a smoothie or use it in a soup. I thought of it after I drained the majority out. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and why waste such a wonderful ingredient?
Using the food processor is genius for the carrots. I gave them a very quick chop to make it a little easier on the food processor. I also put the garlic in (rough chop as well) to mix it all in and that way I didn’t need to mince the garlic.