I’ve always wanted to try making chicken burgers using ground chicken. Finally, it went on sale at the grocery store and I just couldn’t resist. I love the combination of the sweetness of the pineapple with the spicy cheese and chili powder in the burger.
2 lbs. ground chicken
6 pineapple rings (about 1/2″-3/4″ thick)
6 slices pepper jack cheese
6 hamburger buns
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1. Combine the ground chicken, soy sauce, 1/2 the paprika, 1/2 the chili powder, season salt, cumin, and garlic. Lightly mix with your hands and divide into 6 even balls. Form patties, making them slightly thinner in the middle and sprinkle with remaining paprika and chili powder. Refrigerate about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the grill to medium heat. Coat grates lightly with oil.
3. Grill burgers about 6 minutes per side. The burgers should flip easily when they are ready to turn, if they are sticking to the grill, wait another minute.
4. Top with cheese for the last 1-2 minutes of the cooking time to melt.
5. Remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to rest. Grill buns if desired.
6. For the pineapple, grill directly on the grates over medium heat. Carefully turn after 1-2 minutes.
7. Assemble burgers and enjoy.
These were super yummy! I only made a half recipe since I only bought 1 pound of ground chicken and I am only feeding 2 people.
The sweet pineapple with the spicy pepper jack cheese was so good. I added a little bit of mayonnaise to the bun because I wasn’t sure what sauce to add. My fiancé also added Sriracha sauce on the bun to add some spiciness.