Shrimp on the BBQ is just so darn good. Best part is it doesn’t take too long to prep and the shrimp cooks quickly so that you can get right to the eating part.
32 jumbo raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 large limes, sliced into 24 slices
Olive oil cooking spray
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
16 wood skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
1 lime cut into 8 wedges, to garnish
1. Heat the grill on medium heat and spray the grates with oil.
2. Season the shrimp with garlic, cumin, salt and half of the cilantro in a medium bowl.
3. Beginning and ending with shrimp, thread the shrimp and folded lime slices onto 8 pairs of parallel skewers to make 8 kebabs.
4. Grill the shrimp, turning occasionally, until shrimp is opaque throughout, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
5. Top with remaining cilantro and fresh squeezed lime juice before serving.
I always find it funny how it’s not until I write the recipe up that I realize I didn’t quite follow the instructions. Often it is because I read it wrong or too quickly. Sometimes not reading steps at all. This time, instead of folded lime slices, I somehow understood wedges. Instead of 2 skewers per kebab, I only used 1. Oh well. Neither are the end of the world!
The recipe says it makes 8 kebabs. I used large instead of jumbo shrimp, that must be why I didn’t double up on the skewers, because there was no room! I had 36 large shrimp, 6 per kebab, which made a total of 6 kebabs for me.
You can serve the shrimp appetizers or you can serve it as a meal with some sides. I served it with my Pad Thai.